Saturday 26 February 2011

A 1950's faux fur jacket

I have just finished my first ever project in faux fur. I had anticipated that it would be difficult, but it was actually not hard at all. I followed the suggestions here. My faux fur was a pretty generic short-haired black one and the quality is OK- I bought it really cheap a couple of years ago. I did cut the fur with small snips with scissors, but if I would use a fur with longer hair, then I would cut it with a razor knife. I didn't have any problem with the fabric slipping, but I did pin madly. Again, with longer hair I would baste too.


The pattern I used was a Vintage Vougue one, V2934, which is a re-print of a cropped jacket from 1950.
Photobucket

The patterns was very easy to make, the part that took longest was to cut it out, as you can't cut faux fur in two layers at once. However, I don't think the cut is at all flattering on me. A figure that is hourglass-shaped and high-waisted is not at its best with a jacket that stops just where the hips begin. I look like I don't have any waist at all! I think it would look great on a slender figure, though.
Photobucket
Photobucket

White fur goes so well with black, doesn't it?
Photobucket

At least I was really satisfied with my hair today. Four victory rolls, the two in the middle on each side of a diagonal part and the back hair was tucked into a hairnet.
Photobucket

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like it! I think you look very chic and I adore your hair! Just found you from Sew Retro, now I've got you on my Sewing blog roll...

Lizzy said...

Hi! I just found your blog from sew retro. You did a great job!

MarieBayArea said...

sew lovely

Debi said...

LOVELY! I also recently made a faux fur jacket and it was much, much easier than I thought too! I think the shorter faux fur is the way to go! Plus...I absolutely LOVE how it feels!!

Sewingadicta said...

This jacket is adorable! You did a great job, sewing faux fur jacket is on my wish list from today ....

Suzanne said...

Nice job and it looks nice on you too!

Isis said...

Thank you so much, all of you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...